Date: 27 October 2020
Welcome to the COVID-19 Workbench (the COVID-19 Workbench), a service hosted and operated by Aridhia on behalf of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (the Foundation), a Washington charitable trust and a member of the International COVID-19 Data Research Alliance (the Alliance). The Alliance is a collaborative effort by academic institutions, research organizations, life sciences and technology companies, and philanthropies to build a trustworthy international partnership and enduring analysis infrastructure to support a rapid response to the COVID-19 pandemic and future pandemics. The purpose of the COVID-19 Workbench is to unite data from international clinical trials and biomedical and health research to enable discoveries that benefit all people, everywhere, by reducing the harm of the COVID-19 pandemic (the Purpose).
Unless otherwise specifically stated, the COVID-19 Workbench contains anonymized data (the Workbench Data), which have been provided by third parties (the Data Contributors) for the Purpose.
By accessing the COVID-19 Workbench you agree to:
1. Not copy, download or transfer any Workbench Data (other than data uploaded by you) to an external location, other than via outputs approved by the Alliance.
2. Not attempt to identify individuals from the Workbench Data.
3. Ensure that all statistical results and outputs are fully anonymized, do not breach any individual’s privacy, and comply with any applicable data use agreements you may have executed relating to the COVID-19 Workbench.
4. Communicate the results of research in an open access publication, including such attribution, acknowledgement or accreditation to the researcher, project, Alliance, COVID-19 Workbench, and Data Contributors and participants as the Alliance may determine.
5. Comply with all applicable laws, regulations, and rules in using the COVID-19 Workbench and Workbench Data.
6. Comply with your organization’s applicable policies and processes, including but not limited to any policies or processes relating to security, confidentiality, data protection, and ethical reviews.
7. Comply with all Alliance principles
Data uploaded by you
If you upload data to the COVID-19 Workbench for your own use, you represent and warrant that: (a) such data does not contain personal data; (b) you have all rights, title, and interest in and to such data required to upload and use such data on the COVID-19 Workbench; (c) to the best of your knowledge such data does not and will not infringe, violate, or misappropriate any third-party rights; and (d) you have all full and proper consents, permissions, approvals, authorizations, and legal bases necessary to permit the disclosure, transfer (including cross-border transfer), storage, maintenance, and use of such data on the COVID-19 Workbench.
Supplemental terms – Driver Project 1
Workbench Data used for Driver Project 1 will be limited to anonymized safety and efficacy endpoints data summarized by defined subgroups (the Driver Project 1 Data). To become an authorized user of Driver Project 1 Data, you must be working in the field of scientific inquiry applicable to vaccines or therapies for COVID-19, SARS-COV-2, or other pathogens and conditions related to COVID-19 and SARS-COV-2. If you are authorized to access Driver Project 1 Data, by accessing such data you agree to:
1. Access and use the Driver Project 1 Data only for non-commercial secondary research, information sharing, and publication uses relating to the Purpose and only so long as you remain an authorized user.
2. Not file an application to acquire a patent, copyright, trademark or any other intellectual property right on any outputs that predominantly stems from the use or analysis of the Driver Project 1 Data.
3. Not conduct, either directly or indirectly through a third-party service provider, any clinical trials or other commercial activities using the Driver Project 1 Data (or improvements thereto).
4. Not sublicense any Driver Project 1 Data to a third party for the conduct of any clinical trials or other commercial activities.
By accessing the COVID-19 Workbench you agree to:
2. Not attempt to bypass or override the built-in Covid-19 Workbench security controls including, but not limited to:
- Inbound connectivity controls and restrictions
- Outbound connectivity controls and restrictions
- Workspace segregation and permissions
- Virus scanning
- Supported data ingestion methods
- Supported data extract mechanisms including Airlock approved exports and transfers between Workspaces.
3. Keep your allocated username and password secure, not disclose them to anyone else, and not allow anyone else to use them.
4. Log out or lock your screen if you leave your workstation unattended for any length of time.
5. Ensure that your use of the Covid-19 Workbench does not breach the COVID-19 fair usage policy.
Representations; Disclaimer of Warranties
ARIDHIA, FOUNDATION, ALLIANCE MEMBERS, AND DATA CONTRIBUTORS MAKE NO WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE WITH RESPECT TO ANY PATENT, TRADEMARK, NON-PUBLIC OR OTHER INFORMATION, TANGIBLE RESEARCH PROPERTY, OR ANY OTHER PROPERTY OR RIGHT LICENSED HEREUNDER AND HEREBY DISCLAIMS THE SAME.
The Alliance may publicly disclose your name, project title and a list of datasets accessed by you.